Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

32 Weeks and a BPP

Tomorrow I'm officially 32 weeks with 8 weeks left to go.  This begins the 8th month, even though it seems like 40 weeks divided by 4 weeks per month should really be 10 months.  It certainly feels like 10 months! 

Today we went to Dr. Ryder's office and had a biophysical profile (BPP) which is just a sonogram where they look for five things:  heart rate, muscle tone, movement, breathing and amount of amniotic fluid.  The sono-tech was wonderful and talked us through everything she was looking for during the sonogram.  I was most nervous about the breathing and the amniotic fluid.  First she checked the heart rate, which was perfect, then checked the amniotic fluid, which was also right about the same as last week (yay!).  I didn't think she would see much lung and was afraid he wouldn't be "breathing".  However, she said she could easily see the lung and saw movement!  I was shocked, we could see it too!  So amazing!  I know we still have a long ways to go, but just seeing the lung and seeing it move is so encouraging.  Isaac moved around a lot and passed the test with flying colors!  Way to go, buddy! 

Fun Fact:  Did you know amniotic fluid is really baby pee?  That's right, at one point you also swallowed it, peed it out, and repeated the cycle.  Gross and amazing, eh?  But all of that is practice for when he's born and a good sign!  So now that I've grossed you out, here are some fun photos she took of Isaac: 

 
a foot... toes on the right, heel on the left
 
 
and a face!
 
For those of you like Brian, who had no idea what I was looking at and thought this was a profile picture, I will label: 
 
 
See now?  Of course, sonogram photos are always a bit strange looking, partly because baby is a little squished in there and partly because sonograms aren't overly clear.  Nathan's sonogram photos weren't too great and made me a little afraid of what exactly this kid was going to look like, but he turned out pretty well!  3d sonograms are much better at getting good photos, but I have so many appointments already, I don't really need any more.  I'm much more thrilled with seeing the lung and movement, but the photos are a fun bonus.  Next Thursday we go on a tour of the NICU and talk to the neonatologist.  Then we go back to Dr. Ryder for another BPP.  I will say it is comforting to have all these sonograms, but it is a lot of appointments!  I will categorize this under "first world problems" because I'm so thankful for all of these doctors who take such good care of us and I'm so lucky to live in a country with access to good maternal care.  We're still stuck with a 50% chance of survival until Isaac arrives and they see how his lungs and heart work together.  But today has made me a little hopeful and for that I'm thankful. 
 
 


4 comments:

  1. Oh!
    Keep my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, My name is Casey and live in the Dallas area. I wanted you to know that our son, Wyatt was born in July 2012 with LCDH and he is here with us today, strong and fighting. We've had our battles but God has shown us blessing after blessing with him. We will pray for baby Isaac faithfully and for y'all to have strength in this journey. We know first hand it is not for the weak! You are not alone! Please let us know if you have any questions or anything!!!!
    www.familydavises.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you, dear friend, and praying with you for your son's health and for your comfort in these last few weeks of pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of people you don't know up in Maine and elsewhere are praying for your little guy.

    ReplyDelete